Acceptable email usage policy
Use of email by volunteers of Swansea Spirit is permitted and encouraged where such use supports the goals and objectives of the centre.
However, Swansea Spirit has a policy for the use of email whereby the volunteer must ensure that they:
- comply with current legislation
- use email in an acceptable way
- do not create unnecessary risk to the Swansea Spirit by their misuse of the internet
The following behaviour by a volunteer is considered unacceptable:
- use of Swansea Spirit's communications systems to set up personal businesses or send chain letters
- forwarding of Swansea Spirit's confidential messages to external locations
- distributing, disseminating or storing images, text or materials that might be considered indecent, pornographic, obscene or illegal
- distributing, disseminating or storing images, text or materials that might be considered discriminatory, offensive or abusive, in that the context is a personal attack, sexist or racist, or might be considered as harassment
- accessing copyrighted information in a way that violates the copyright
- breaking into Swansea Spirit's or another organisation's system or unauthorised use of a password/mailbox
- broadcasting unsolicited personal views on social, political, religious or other related matters
- transmitting unsolicited commercial or advertising material
- introducing any form of computer virus or malware into Swansea Spirit's network
Swansea Spirit accepts that the use of email is a valuable business tool. However, misuse of this facility can have a negative impact upon Swansea Spirit and its reputation.
In addition, all of Swansea Spirit email resources are provided for Swansea Spirit's purposes. Therefore, Swansea Spirit maintains the right to examine any systems and inspect any data recorded in those systems.
In order to ensure compliance with this policy, the company also reserves the right to use monitoring software in order to check upon the use and content of emails. Such monitoring is for legitimate purposes only and will be undertaken in agreement with volunteers.
Where it is believed that a volunteer has failed to comply with this policy, they will face Swansea Spirit's disciplinary procedure. If a volunteer is found to have breached the policy, they will face a disciplinary penalty ranging from a verbal warning to dismissal. The actual penalty applied will depend on factors such as the seriousness of the breach and the volunteer's disciplinary record.
All volunteers, contractors or temporary staff who have been granted the right to use Swansea Spirit's email services accept this agreement confirming their understanding and acceptance of this policy.